Why home remedies for bad breath don’t work
Over the years, you’ve probably heard of many home remedies for bad breath. Since one in four people have bad breath, and as many as 90 million have halitosis, or chronic bad breath, it makes sense to research bad breath home remedies. Supposed natural remedies for bad breath fall into a couple of different categories. Unfortunately, none are very effective, and there is one primary reason why: They don’t fight the real cause of bad breath, which is .
Sulfur gas – the real cause of bad breath
Everyone has anaerobic bacteria, that which doesn’t rely on oxygen, inside their mouths. It’s simply part of the oral flora that contributes to how we digest and process food as fuel for our bodies. In the natural course of digestion, these bacteria feed on protein particles and excrete volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) like hydrogen sulfide, which smells like rotten eggs, and methyl mercaptan, which has a barnyard smell. It’s these VSCs, also known as sulfur gas, that we perceive as bad breath.
Getting rid of bacteria will temporarily stop bad breath, but because bacteria is a necessary component to our oral health, it will come back and re-populate in the mouth. Most home remedies for bad breath, and in fact most mouthwashes and other treatments for bad breath, work by killing or neutralizing bacteria, but do nothing to prevent it from returning, which it does, usually within an hour. A better approach is to stop the bacteria from producing sulfur gas altogether. If there is no sulfur gas, there is no bad breath.
Natural remedies for bad breath, and why they don’t work
Among the potential home remedies for bad breath are many things that are good for oral health and will temporarily keep your breath smelling good. There are others that simply mask the smell, and still others that will get rid of bacteria in various ways, but that can’t prevent it from returning.
· Oral health bad breath home remedies include recommendations to brush your teeth after every meal, floss daily, use a tongue scraper and drink plenty of water. These are all great suggestions, and keeping your mouth and teeth healthy will have a positive effect on your breath, but they won’t prevent occasional bad breath or morning breath.
· Antiseptic home remedies for bad breath include chewing on herbs such as cloves and fennel seed to fight bad breath in your mouth. While the antiseptic properties can temporarily get rid of bad breath, soon the bacteria will re-populate, and bad breath can return.
What about supposed natural solutions?
· Chlorophyll based alternatives like parsley, mint, basil or cilantro may tone down bad breath for a short while, but the chlorophyll isn’t effective long term against sulfur gas.
· Remedies that promise to change the pH level of the mouth and stomach, like baking soda and apple cider vinegar, sound promising, but ultimately still don’t affect the underlying cause of bad breath.
· Saliva-increasing home remedies for bad breath, like chewing on lemon or orange rinds, or even using mints and gum, can work temporarily as the saliva washes out the bacteria, but does nothing to prevent it from coming back.
If none of these home remedies for bad breath really work, then how do you really fight bad breath? The key is finding something that works against sulfur. That’s the only way to stop bad breath and keep it away for more than an hour.
Eliminate* and prevent sulfur gas, and the resulting bad breath, for 24 hours
Forget home remedies and try something that really works to get rid of bad breath. SmartMouth Activated Oral Rinse fights the source of bad breath in a way that home remedies and typical mouthwashes can’t – by eliminating sulfur gas in the mouth and preventing it from returning for 24 hours for all day fresh breath.
The key to SmartMouth’s success is its patented . Only SmartMouth features two liquids, a Sulfur Eliminating Solution to destroy existing sulfur gas, and a zinc-rich Activating Solution, that activate when mixed together to release billions of zinc ions. These zinc ions attach to the bacteria in the mouth and prevent them from releasing sulfur gas. No sulfur gas means no bad breath. The best part is rinsing twice a day, once in the morning and again before bed, means a full 24 hours of clean, fresh breath.
Not only does SmartMouth provide all day protection against bad breath, but it works with the bacteria in your mouth. It also doesn't upset your natural oral flora. Home remedies and single liquid mouthwash products won’t provide the same bad breath protection you get with SmartMouth.
Get a bad breath remedy that really works – SmartMouth
If you suffer from halitosis or occasional bad breath, get confident that you’ll have fresh breath all day long. SmartMouth’s line of premium, activated oral rinses can handle all your oral health needs with three formulas. SmartMouth's three distinct rinses are Original, Dry Mouth and Clinical DDS. You can find our products at most pharmacies and supercenters, and online at .
*Results may vary. 24-hour bad breath protection results associated with twice daily use. SmartMouth products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. All SmartMouth products come with our guarantee that SmartMouth works exactly as described or your money back. Always consult your oral healthcare professional.